Saturday, August 6, 2011

Hike to Maracas Waterfall

July 13th turned out to be the perfect day for a hike. It has been raining a lot in Trinidad so it was very nice to wake up to a sunny day. Sister Ellison and I had chosen this morning to have a beautiful hike in the mountains instead of the usual walk through the neighborhood. Trinidad has lots of steep mountains filled with dense green foliage of every kind. It was a beautiful hike, sometimes steep and rocky. There was dense jungle on each side of the trail. We enjoyed the sounds of the jungle – the songs of the birds and other creatures and the sound of the rushing water of the creek. We took our time and didn’t feel rushed because we wanted to not only get to our destination but stop and ‘smell the roses’ along the way. It was also a special time for us to share life experiences, mission experiences, and even our favorite books. We have so much in common and had a lot to talk about. The falls ran off a high cliff and sprayed off a cool mist that was very refreshing. Maracas Falls is the highest water fall in Trinidad-Tobago at 298 ft. We relaxed on a rock and enjoyed the beautiful surroundings. We read some verses in the Book of Mormon and had a stimulating discussion about our insights.

I loved being in the mountains again. The mountains of Utah are the place I love to go to find peace and joy and to refresh me. I have missed them. I needed the boost and these beautiful mountains gave it to me this day. Instead of being gone for two hours as planned we were gone for four glorious hours. I wouldn’t have been so long but we couldn’t resist going visit our dear sister Pearl Ramdial who lives near the hike. I loved our visit. She is turning 80 years next month. She is a vibrant, happy lady. She raised 14 children on this mountain. Through the years she was an avid hiker in these steep hills. It was part of her daily routine. She is the only member of the church in her family but her children love her and take such good care of her. She has been a seeker of truth her whole life – trying out different churches and never feeling satisfied until the restored church was introduced to her. We not only visited with her but she asked us to read from the Book of Mormon, sing a hymn and have prayer together. It was a delightful experience. I love to feel the Spirit of the saints here. She has many challenges but she says the gospel gives her the strength and peace she needs to make it through the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment