Georgetown, Guyana
At the end of the year I was talking to her on the phone about the three students who are under age for seminary but attended seminary faithfully. Then she shared something with me that I will never forget. In October her branch president had extended the calling to her to be an early morning seminary teacher. She accepted the calling. At the time Sister Singh had a job that was from 7:30 am – 4:30 pm during the week days. Her class would not be out until 7:30 am. She went to her boss to discuss coming in a little late and staying later in the afternoon to make up the difference. She explained to him about her teaching religion to young people. He was very abrupt with her and let her know she would need to choose between her job and her teaching. Period!
Well, she choose seminary. She is a widow and needs to provide for herself (her only child is also deceased). She promised Heavenly Father that she would teach to the end of the school year if He would take care of her. She did not discuss this with anyone, not even her branch president. She told me that I was the first person she told about this. She said that the Lord did bless her through the year. She taught from October to July mostly living on her meager savings. Sometimes her brother sent her money out of the kindness of his heart with no knowledge of her situation. Other blessings came her way that helped get through without a job. What a dedicated, faithful servant of the Lord. She said, “When my problems got heavy I would go to seminary and leave with a song in my heart and the whole day went better”.
What a wonderful story and a wonderful teacher. I love her and I don't even know her.
ReplyDelete